Information for Students with
Mobility and Medical Disabilities
UC Davis is committed to ensuring equal access to educational opportunities for students with disabilities. An integral component to that commitment is the coordination of academic accommodations and support services through the Student Disability Center (SDC).
To determine eligibility for services for a medical or mobility impairment, the SDC requires current, complete documentation from a physician. The University reserves the right to request supplemental information to verify a student's current functional limitations. Current documentation is required to assess whether the impairment limits a major life activity and to establish the extent of the student's disability-related limitations.
Documentation must include the following information:
- Date of most recent visit to medical provider or diagnostician
- Aclear indication of the existence of a medical or mobility impairment
- A summary of assessment procedures and evaluation instruments used to diagnose the impairment
- Specific functional limitations related to the condition, especially those involved in attending a post-secondary educational institution
- A description of treatments and their estimated effectiveness in minimizing the impact of the impairment
- Medication side effects, if any
- Prognosis and anticipated duration of limitations and impairment
The report must be signed by the student's diagnosing physician.
Accommodations and Support Services
Requests for accommodations are considered on an individual basis by taking into account institutional obligations to provide equal access to educational opportunities, documented current functional limitations, and the student's course requirements. It is the student's responsibility to submit all requests for disability-based accommodations to the SDC each academic quarter.
Mailing Address and Contact Information
Russ Zochowski, Disability Specialist
Student Disability Center • University of California
One Shields Avenue • Davis, CA 95616-8714
(530) 752-3184 voice • (530) 752-6833 TTY • (530) 752-0161 fax